The best thing would be for him to get the current version of the same book. Jim Buck worked with Bryan to significantly update it and the teach sequence is radically improved. It has probably a 2011 or 2012 publishing date. This is the one http://www.amazon.com/Programming-RPG-IV-Jim-Buck/dp/1583473556 and at less than $40 it is a bargain. I don't understand the reviews that rate it poorly - I have to believe they are for the previous version which had gotten rather messy. The current version was a total rewrite by the guy (Jim Buck) who run the most successful IBM i college program going.

The Sorcerers Guide is for when they have finished with this book.

On 2013-06-23, at 3:15 PM, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I took it from Clay's response that the book was clear . "... that
section is there just in case you run into those functions later on. ...
." In 1998 that was highly likely.

Is a "Sorcerer's guide" a better choice for Clay to learn? Or is that
aimed at intermediate & advanced students?

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245402.pdf