As long as the partial key specifications are correctly coded, as they appear to be, for the declared keyed file [thus opened by keyed sequence access path vs arrival access path], then the effects *must* reflect the keyed Access Path order as defined by that file. The first Item of the positioned key will have the *lowest* date value. Even accidental changes to access path sharing [e.g. due to restores] can not impact that.

However if the /date/ is not the DATE data type or the field is NULL-capable, then the effects might be easily misinterpreted, but the order must still reflect the keyed AccPth.

Any other effect would be a defect or a usage error. And I have since noticed, that the most recent followup message seemed to imply the latter... an error as a side effect of mis-reading and\or mistyping the date value(s) rather than an error with the coding. I am posting my reply anyhow, because the above *however* may have value to someone combing the archives for a similar described difficulty... with a different origin.

Regards, Chuck