Hi, Barbara:

All good points, thanks.

(I started doing the "test harness" method described below before I learned to create user-defined commands.)

Mark

> On 6/13/2013 5:07 PM, Barbara Morris wrote:
On 6/13/2013 3:47 PM, Mark S Waterbury wrote:
It takes only a few seconds to write a small "test harness" in CL, e.g.:

PGM
DCL &PARM1 *CHAR 100 VALUE('/this/is/a/test')
DCL &PARM2 *CHAR 3 VALUE('3 ')
CALL PGM(TARGETPGM) PARM(&PARM1 &PARM2)
RETURN
ENDPGM

Just as quick to write a command, which I think is much handier for testing.

Source file
CMD ('command description goes here')
PARM DIR TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(255) CASE(*MIXED) PROMPT('Directory')
PARM DAYS TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(3) PROMPT('Days')

==> CRTCMD mylib/mytest pgm(mylib/targetpgm) srcfile(...)

==> mylib/mytest '/this/is/a/test' 3

One benefit of a command here is that you don't have to remember to add
the quotes on the 3. The command knows it's a 3 byte character. Too bad
the quotes are needed for the path, but that's because of the slashes.

Without slashes, you don't need the quotes. The CASE(*MIXED) causes it
to keep the case as typed.

==> mylib/mytest a.txt 3