On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Gary Thompson <gthompson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But, I want to investigate Python - any hints for starters ?

For Python on the i, I use a thing called iSeriesPython:

http://www.iseriespython.com

As long as you are on V5R3 or newer, the actual download is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iseriespython/files/Compiled/2.7/revD/

For reading Excel files (both .xls and .xlsx), there is a package called xlrd:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlrd

Installing xlrd (and pretty much any other Python package) on the i is
not the same as installing on other platforms, so if your
investigations get to this stage, feel free to ask me for help. (It's
not hard; it's just unpacking and copying the proper directory to the
right place on the IFS; but I'm doing my best not to get TOO deep into
this on RPG400-L.)

If you haven't tried Python on any platform at all yet, and intend on
getting the most out of the language, I recommend getting your feet
wet on one of the mainstream platforms of your choice: Linux/Unix,
Mac, or Windows. Python will already be installed on Linux and Mac;
the installer for Windows is as painless as you would expect (get the
latest 2.x, not 3.x; as of this writing, that's 2.7.4). The official
Python tutorial (not i-specific) is here:

http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/

Please don't hesitate to contact me off-list if you need any further tips.

John