On 01 May 2013 15:32, Vern Hamberg wrote:

The QHST* message files have a rather interesting layout. They
can be read just fine in RPG - there's the RPG hook you need!!

They have a text description that tells you the dates included,
as I recall - something like that. The NAMES are not necessarily
in the right order alphabetically.

There is documentation <<SNIP>>

There was an API added for access to the /history log/ data, which I presume eliminates the need to list the files [and descriptions and creation dates] to try to figure out how to order reading; I've never used the API nor read much about it, just recall its existence:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qmholhst.htm
_i Open List of History Log Messages (QMHOLHST) API i_
"...
The Open List of History Log Messages (QMHOLHST) API provides information about messages that were sent to the QHST message queue. When the API is called, it will cause messages to be moved from the QHST message queue into the QHST database files. The API will return the message text based on the current contents of the message file when the API is called. The returned messages are sorted by their sending date and time unless:
..."

FWiW and IMO: Using such a tenuous tie-in to RPG would pretty much allow discussion of *most* midrange-L topics here, but that does not make the topic any more relevant to this list\forum. As well, continued discussion here versus someplace like the midrange-L fails to reach the proper audience for the topic; i.e. the people who know most about the topic are more likely to be system administration types vs RPG programmer types, and the former are less likely to hangout here. The OP would be better served by inquiring on the proper list... as David suggested.