To: "RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Stone, Joel" <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/18/2013 02:52PM
Subject: RE: why rpg and not cobol

Apple of course is the exception.

The rule is obvious: IT vendors try hard to keep things proprietary, but the masses of buyers force them to open things up.

Every invention starts out proprietary - some survive longer than others - whether the product is a new drug or a new OS or whatever.

Apple has done a remarkable job, but for a short period of time.  Apple is tied to the iphone, and there are now more [open] Android phones sold than Apple.  Even Apple's recent stock price collapse reflects the fact that consumers will not accept proprietary stuff forever.

Maybe it has something to do with mandatory patent expirations [mandated by law], maybe it is simply momentum can only carry a proprietary product for so long, maybe it is because someone ALWAYS comes along and builds a better mousetrap.

I am as tied to iseries as anyone, but I don't mislead myself into thinking that an RPG or COBOL career would be a good choice for a young person.

IBMs lack of support for Rochester has nothing to do with love of mainframes or COBOL or h/w.   Rather they are just responding to market demand IMO.