James,

You can easily capture stdout in an interactive job by overriding it prior to starting the JVM. So at the beginning of the job (before the JVM has been started) do this:

OVRPRTF FILE(STDOUT) TOFILE(QSYSPRT) HOLD(*YES)

Then the JVM will write stdout to a spooled file. The spooled file won't end until the job ends, though... but once it does, all the info will be there.

Not sure why using Java 6 would make any difference? Nothing you're doing requires 6.

The error "incorrect database name ''" means that you have not specified a database name. Or, at least, that's what it seems to be saying, right? The database name is ''

MySQL does not have any notion of schema. It just has a database name. DB2 for i is almost a complete opposite in that respect. It uses schema for everything, and there's only one actual database on the whole system, so you almost never select a database. By contrast, MySQL does not have schemas, but can have as many databases as you like, so people tend to use databases similarly to the way we use schemas.

Anyway... Are you selecting a database, either in your connection properties, or via the "use" command? IF not, that would explain the error.

-SK