From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RPGLIST
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:51 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Maintaining Service Program signatures

I would also assume that binder file as well as the prototype copybook must be promoted to a production box along with the service program, but the module would not since its incorporated into the service program, unless of course the objects are recompiled when promoting which isn't the case with all systems.

Hi,

IBM signatures do not include any information about the parameters of
exported procedures. This is a common misconception.

ILE Signatures are computed over the names of the exported procedures,
the number of exported procedures, and their order (sequence). Period.

Please re-read the excerpt (below) from a previous post carefully:

==========
... just memorize the rule: ALWAYS add new exported procedures to the
very bottom of the list in the binder source, and REMEMBER to add
them to the exported prototypes, and ALWAYS add any new parameters
you're adding to a procedure to the BOTTOM of the list of parameters
and in the code check the number of parameters before using the new
one, That way you can keep your signature the same and programs that
use "pre-existing" procedures will not break.

This is very important to understand, or you will likely get burned.

All the best,

Mark S. Waterbury
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)