is no *BNDDIR option on the module name in the CRT command. That is why I
have always used a make tool. Everything is specified in the header of the
source.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Anderson, Kurt <KAnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Why aren't binding directories going to deal with multiple modules?

Copied this from a binding directory of ours:
DATEUTIL *MODULE *LIBL 11/12/09 13:14:33
GET_QUIRKS *MODULE *LIBL 11/12/09 13:14:41

-Kurt

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Alan Campin
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:49 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: RPG - Software Architecture / Best practices

But what about multiple modules? You need a make tool(See
www.think400.dk/downloads.htm and look for compile). Binding directories
are not going to deal with a multiple modules.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/25/2013 9:46 AM, Charles MARTIN wrote:

I am a french software architect, in dotnet mainly.
I am not used to program in RPG, but I am working in it.

I have been asked to help RPG programmers to work in a different
way,
using best practices, design patterns, etc.
I am looking for advices, which could help me to get in the right
direction.

-snip-

What I would like to achieve is :

* Use a layered architecture (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitier_architecture)

o Presentation Layer
o Business Layer
o Data Layer

* Do TDD (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development)
o And later, BDD (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior_driven_development)

I am doing a Proof of Concept with my colleagues, using the "Service
programs" to do the layering.
That would be a good start.
I could not find something similar on the net.
Does that seems a good idea to you, the RPG experts ?
How would you do that ?

Sounds like a magnificent idea! To help your colleagues adapt, add
the service program to a binding directory, and put the binding
directory in your standard H-specification. Then your colleagues can
compile easily with PDM option 14 rather than a two step process of
creating a module, then a program. What has helped me is to tell my
colleagues that sub-procedures are nothing more than user-written BIFs
(built-in functions).

There is an open source RPGUnit service program available for TDD.
http://rpgunit.sourceforge.net/ It's not integrated into Eclipse, but
it's a start. A larger issue is how to create and maintain a
representative database - one that will exercise the edge cases properly.

Bonne chance!
--buck
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)

http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.