On 1/29/2013 1:02 PM, Jeff Crosby wrote:
So how ARE you creating the file for Excel?

Scott Klement's HSSF wrapper.

What file extension? .csv? .xls? XML?

.xls

Are you doing any kind of cell formatting/alignment? What about column
headings?

Yes and yes.

Are you converting spool files or DB files to Excel? Or both?

Are you bursting these "reports" such that each sales rep (for example)
gets his or her own pages only? Or do you create separate reports for each?

I personally avoid simple scrapers like the plague. It seems simple and
easy to convert an existing spooled file to a spreadsheet, but then you
have exactly the issues you bring up. The printed report is 500 pages
long, goes to 9 different regional office managers and the last (total)
page goes to the president's office. With the printed report, the
operator manually separates the sections, puts them in the proper
interoffice mail bins and Robert is your mother's brother. Simply
converting this to a spreadsheet means some other sort of manual
handling to create new spreadsheets for each manager and the president
and email them off.

I haven't crossed that bridge just yet; I'm still convincing people they
don't really want to see a 30 page detailed listing which they manually
scan looking for error messages. Instead, I'm giving them a single
spreadsheet containing only the records in error. So I'm taking the
opportunity to do it differently, rather than electrify the manual process.

If I had to send a separate spreadsheet to different department heads I
think I'd have a 'distribution file' containing the program name, report
name, 'level break' ID, and recipient ID. There aren't really that many
level breaks: perhaps department code, regional office ID, building
number, business unit and so on. Use an integer for that code and there
are many millions of possibilities. Write a subprocedure to convert
table + column names to level break ids and it's not that hard to return
the recipient for a given level break. Needs some fleshing out, but
that seems a decent start.
--buck