You do not need to understand matching records or the cycle to use RPGLE. For a new person coming to RPGLE the attitude of " you can't really call yourself an RPG programmer" is not encouraging.
We need to encourage new people, not discourage them.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anderson, Kurt
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:06 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: RE: Indicating Total Time in Free Form when using RPG Cycle

Jerry, your comment appears to come without any respect whatsoever. Somehow you attribute a real RPG programmer as one who uses (or has used) old methodologies. I honestly don't judge if someone is going to use matching records indicators. I know we have a couple programs that do, and we pretty much leave them alone. Do I claim to understand them? No. Every time I work with them (that is, virtually never), I have to research what's going on. Anyway, I just had to respond. Being unable to call yourself a RPG programmer based on a completely arbitrary method of coding is ridiculous.

-Kurt