As I recall it was "Cadillac" at the time.

Karleen Bushard || IBM i Software Devloper || HOM Furniture, Inc ||
763.767.3777 || VM1777 || kbushard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/24/2013 12:39:10 PM:

From: Rory Hewitt <rory.hewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <rpg400-
l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 01/24/2013 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Reminiscing was: Indicating Total Time in Free Form
when using RPG Cycle
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Buck,

It's worth checking out the photo of the 1404 printer on that Wikipedia
page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_1403_Printer_opened.jpg) -
it's
a work of art - all metal, with bakelite knobs. Makes my home printer
seem
very flimsy.

Rory

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/24/2013 11:36 AM, nancy wrote:

A spool fine do a line feed to a channel that did not have a hold in
it?
I was once a mainframe operator, but I really do not know what that
means.

They're talking about a printer carriage control tape.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_control_tape Many years ago,
RPG
programs did not tell the printer to skip to line NNN, the program
said
to skip to channel NNN. That channel number was punched on the
carriage
control tape which was then mounted on the printer along with the
proper
paper. You'd make one control tape for say payroll checks and another
for say, 8-12 x 11 inch paper.

This has not been used for 30 years, so it's not surprising that you
don't know what it refers to.
--buck
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)