To summarize (and to provide some background) I was faced with the following
coding style during a modification to some RPG III code:

C MOVEA'101' *IN,30

This has been used extensively in my shop for the last 30 years. I'm trying
to show the other guys the advantages of /Free but I wasn't able to do the
same thing with just a single line of code. Posting the problem to the forum
helped me a lot, and it also garnered the usual comments about bad coding
techniques. I'll give you that, but I'm in a bit of an ideological war here
and unless I can reproduce the same results using a single line of code,
I'll lose this battle. So much for background...

Got pointed to a Jon Paris article (thanks!) and came up with the following:

D pIndicators s * inz(%addr(*in))

D indicators ds based(pIndicators)
D ind 1a overlay(indicators) dim(99)

In his original, the array elements were defined as 1n, but I changed it to
what you see. The calc statement became this (since there's no equivalent to
MOVEA in free form):

C %subarr(ind:30:3) = '101';

The compiler balked when the array was defined as 1n, but accepted 1a. I ran
some test data and things looked OK, and I thought my problem was solved,
until I tested more thoroughly.

In short folks, it didn't work. Debugging the statement shows the following:

General Indicators:

... 30 '1' 31 '1' 32 '1' ...

Before the %subarr statement, they were all '0'.

So, I'm back to the drawing board but needed to inform the list so someone
else doesn't try the same thing!

Buzz