Dave,

That's not really an invalid approach....

In fact, once you've gone through the exercises above one time (assuming
you do so completely up to and including rewriting the jobs so they
are efficient as possible) then the next time you need things done faster,
new hardware is about your only recourse.

One can easily spend a couple weeks on tuning...more if you're
not experienced. Only you can decide if it is cost effective.

Charles