Couldn't you still initiate from the AS/400 and call a stored procedure to
do the updating through the linked server?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Yes you can...

But this is going to be _very_ slow...

If you are doing a lot of records, my first choice would be to do this from
the MS SQL Server using a "linked server" to the IBM i.

If it absolutely has to be initiated from the IBM i, I'd look into "batch"
updates via the JDBC addBatch() and executeBatch() methods. However, from
a cursory glance, it doesn't appear that Scott has wrapped those methods.
You can look into wrapping them yourself or you could simply do the whole
thing in Java on the i.

HTH,
Charles