Hi Rory,

Is this 5250 emulator something you have the code for? If so, what you could do is have the emulator launch a signed Java applet. That way, the 5250 emulator running in a browser can still handle STRPCCMD. (This is what Profound's 5250-in-a-browser product does, by the way -- though I haven't looked at the details of how the Java applet works.)

Or, you don't have the code for the emulator, then I suppose you could provide your own STRPCCMD that runs above IBM's in the library list -- but there's a significant challenge in doing this securely. With sockets, you'd need a program installed on the PC that can accept a connect from the IBM i, securely, without providing a userid/password, etc. So you'd need some way to do this without opening up the PC to any sort of command from anywhere, and that can be a significant challenge. But, something like digital keys or certificates might be a good solution.

When it comes to actually running the command, what I did in the open source TN5250 was attempt to run the command via the Win32 CreateProcess() API. If that returns -1, indicating an error, we try again, this time prefixing the command with "cmd.exe /c ". (Assuming that it's a DOS command)

It's not totally perfect... Client Access appears to do something slightly differently, I haven't put my finger on what it is. But, it seems to be close enough.

-SK