Hi, Vern:

All good points.

But, (like me, in this case), anyone coming to this thread "late" or finding this in the "archives" in the future might be "fooled" into thinking this is some general purpose technique for avoiding level-checks ... I was just trying to point out the dangers.

If it was me, I would have comments at the front of that sample code posted, warning of these dangers explicitly.

So, go ahead and shoot your toes off! Just don't come crying to me ... ;-)

Mark

> On 11/7/2012 1:48 PM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Mark, et al.

The specific context was to find a way easily to use SETLL to test
existence, and not have to be concerned if more columns were added.

The OP was given several alternatives, including some SQL techniques -
he wants to go SQL for almost everything.

This technique for the OP makes several assumptions - fixed key length,
no change in those particular key columns, etc.

Since it is ALL that the OP intends to do with this, it seemed not so
bad an idea.

There is an explicit statement in the programmer's guide chapter 15 that
no level checking is done for program-described files. Only for
externally-described ones. That is obvious, once I got to thinking about it.

Again, this was a VERY narrow context. All manner of dangers of not
using level checks were presented to the OP.

Vern