I use SQL exclusively for I/O in screen programs and was pleasant surprised
when I first used it that it actually made coding simpler and yes I always
use a data structure or records array to read records and I almost always
map to a user space. It makes it very, very fast.

If you are interested, I can send a module doing a single page load written
using subfiles and SQL.