From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John McKee
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:26 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Should I replace all CHAIN, SETLL, and READs to SQL

In the mid 90s, I had a job working for a contractor with work at a
Federal agency. One task I was assigned was to prepare standardized
documentation of program logic used in COBOL programs that ran on S/36
machines.

One program had this:

READ somefile
PERFORM UNTIL EOF
blah
blahI saw the second READ
READ somefile
blah
blah

Above not correct COBOL-74 syntax.

Point was that second READ should have been last in the performed
paragraph. I got into trouble when I pointed that out. Then, I was
told they knew about the issue, but would not fix it due to the
difficulty of getting changes through Quality Acceptance. Program had
failed during a production run - but error was extremely obvious just
looking at the source.

One last comment: for some programs, this was a second go-round on
program documentation. I wish that was funny.

John McKee