From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Houts
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:02 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: RE: Converting Case with a Varying Field

Sorry to disagree with you, as I do greatly respect your opinion, but processing efficiency ALWAYS trumps programmer efficiency. Any extra (read unnecessary) code is less efficient. The problem with most programmers (besides laziness) is that they usually don't look at the big picture, which is the code running in many jobs and possibly being called millions of times in a day. That "possibly negligible" amount of extra processing adds up in a hurry. Our production system does a lot of work (we wrap the job number every two to three days), so we need to remove inefficiency wherever we can.

It seems to me that however "very very fast" the bound calls are, calling the API directly is still faster. And that's the bottom line. Teaching programmers to value programmer efficiency over processing efficiency is a huge mistake.