In a similar, though not identical (in my case I was propagating adopted
authorities to the submitted job) situation, I wrote two programs
to insulate the applications. One program was an exit program using the
Command Analyzer Change exit documented at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/xcachg.htm.
The
exit program examined the job to be submitted and, if it met certain
criteria, would modify the CMD string of the original SBMJOB to call my
second program passing two parameters -- some control information and the
original CMD string. The changed command string was then returned to the
exit point to be run.

The second program would be called as the initial program of the submitted
job, set the appropriate environment for the job to run in, and then call
the application program that the user wanted to run (using the second
passed parameter).

I have not been following this thread very closely, but one could certainly
do what ever data gathering is necessary in the exit program (it runs in
the job performing the SBMJOB), if necessary (due to size) store the data
under some arbitrary key passed in the first parameter (or just make the
data into a parameter), and then have the initial program of the submitted
job perform whatever is necessary to recreate the environment. Assuming
that the submitted job would run OK in the initial job if directly CALLed
(which is what I'm not sure of when skimming this thread), then the
submitted applications would/should require no change.

This would require no change to the defaults of the IBM SBMJOB command
itself, require no duplication of the SBMJOB command and subsequent playing
with the library list, and as an added benefit enable one to do a whole lot
of "other things" while in the exit program.

Bruce Vining