On 2012-07-31, at 8:40 AM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Actually, the user index and data queue suggestions are both practical. You only have to create one object for all jobs that use this function. As the submitting jobs are either interactive or web pages, it's unlikely they would submit multiple jobs rapidly, so both of the options are viable. They're not as ideal as using an environment variable or the LDA, but as Jon has clearly stated that neither is viable for him, IMO using a user index or data queue are the only practical options left.

Actually it is beginning to look as if the environment variable is the only option that will work - the problem I face with it is the sheer number of programs to modify/test.

The user index DQ suggestions cause different problems.

Let me qualify the requirements a bit further. Amazing how you don't realize how many criteria are in play until you try to explain your problems!

1) "My" software currently uses the LDA.

2) Multiple users can be connected at any time via 5250.

3) A single user can be connected at any time via a web interface. (The single user restriction was enforced earlier when it was believed that the LDA problem only affected the GUI interface.)

4) Both interfaces may submit batch jobs.

5) Those batch jobs require the data that is currently stored in the LDA

6) Only one program uses/changes the LDA - but happens on a simple call/return. In other words storing the LDA and trying to restore it is not really an option since I would only know when to store it - I have no way of knowing when the content needs to be restored.

7) I am trying to minimize the number of programs needing changes/testing. The SBMJOB environment variable solution, for example, would require over 120 programs to be modified/tested. Changing the parameter list to the program that changes the LDA would mean 140 programs. etc. etc. Yes - I know the app should never have been built this way - sadly I had no control over that.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com