From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Houts
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:57 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: RE: Seeking inspiration ...

What's a "fully-qualified job number"? A job number is just a six-digit
number. You can't name an object with just a number, as it has to start
with a letter or certain special character (@, #, $). If you mean
fully-qualified job name, then that won't work, as it is a length of 26.

Yes, you can find out the submitter's information from the Retrieve Job
Information API (QUSRJOBI) using format JOBI0300. I suggested using a
user index because you can use the submitter's fully-qualified job name
as the key, indexes are very fast, and you only need one object to
accommodate all jobs for this purpose. As Jon's request seems to
involve only a small amount of data, this could work. As Jon has said
that the environment variable suggestion won't work for him, the user
index suggestion is better than a user space, data area, or stream file
because of naming restrictions (well, the stream file would be
cumbersome and comparatively very slow). As others have suggested, a
data queue might also be viable, having some of the same advantages of
the user index.