Dave,

What kind of transactions do you mean:sales orders, purchase orders?
How fo the y enter dat: via web portal, green screen? It looks like green
screen.

Using different library list does not require different activation groups,
imho.

You can have some data files (which are similar to the production files,
you mentioned that) into which the data is entered. You have to decide
which data can be edited, the rest is just read only and can be from
production data (why keeping to sets of data for that? data could be
synchronized with triggers). Checks and controls can bedone on thse files
during data entry.

Untill the transaction is complete, the user can copy the data of that
transaction to the original production files, the order is complete and
removed from the entry files.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler