Hi Jeff,

Since you can have a variety of date formats to check you may want to investigate writing up your own function to validate the date.

You can use the Convert Date to Lilian Format (CEEDAYS) API to determine if the date is valid then use the Convert Lilian Date to Character Format (CEEDATE) API to convert the Lilian date to whatever format you desire. The CEE date APIs may be found within the ILE CEE APIs are the Info Center.

Basics are as follows...

// Check and Convert a date
//
// 0 = A error occurred so the date is not returned
// date in CCYYMMDD = The date is valid so a date is returned
//
// You pass in a date. If there are no errors the converted
// date is returned.
//

D chkAndCvtADate PR 8S 0
D datetocvt 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)

D datetocvt S 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)

/free

// Your process to receive the data goes here

// Check and convert the date

EpHOrDate = chkAndCvtADate(Start_Date);

If EpHorDate = 0;
// handle the error
Endif;

// Finish your processing

/end-free

// Check and Convert a date
//
// 0 = A error occurred so the date is not returned
// date in CCYYMMDD = The date is valid so a date is returned
//
// You pass in a date. If there are no errors the converted
// date is returned.
//

P chkAndCvtADate B

D chkAndCvtADate PI 8S 0
D entryDate 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)

D dateToReturnDS DS
D dateToReturn 8S 0
D dateCharFmt 8 overlay(dateToReturn:1)

// CEEDAYS (Convert character date to lilian date)
//

D CEEDAYS PR EXTProc('CEEDAYS') OPDESC
D datetocvt 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D datetocvtfmt 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D liliandate 10I 0
D errorcode like(fc)

D datetocvt S 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D datetocvtfmt S 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D liliandate S 10I 0

D fc DS
D fc_Condition 4
D fc_Condition1 2B 0 overlay(fc_Condition:1)
D fc_Condition2 2B 0 overlay(fc_Condition:*NEXT)
D fc_bits 1
D fc_Facility 3
D fc_I_S_Info 4
D fc_MsgSev 2B 0
D fc_MsgNbr 2B 0

//---------------------------------------------
// CEEDATE (Convert lilian date character date)
//---------------------------------------------

D CEEDATE PR EXTProc('CEEDATE') OPDESC
D liliandate 10I 0
D datetocvtfmt 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D converteddate 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)
D errorcode like(fc)

D converteddate s 255 OPTIONS(*VARSIZE)

/free

//---------------------
// Initialize variables
//---------------------

Datetocvt = entryDate;
dateToReturn = 0;

//--------------------------------------------
// Convert from mm/dd/yyyy date to lilian date
//--------------------------------------------

datetocvtfmt = 'MM/DD/YYYY';
liliandate = 0;
Clear fc;

callP CEEDAYS(wrkFrmDate:datetocvtfmt:liliandate:fc);

if (fc_Condition = x'00000000'); // no error so convert lilian to *USA

datetocvtfmt = 'YYYYMMDD';
convertedate = *Blanks;

callP CEEDATE(liliandate:datetocvtfmt:converteddate:fc);

dateCharFmt = converteddate;
return dateToReturn;

endif;

//--------------------------------------------
// Convert from dd/mm/yyyy date to lilian date
//--------------------------------------------

datetocvtfmt = 'DD/MM/YYYY';
liliandate = 0;
Clear fc;

callP CEEDAYS(wrkFrmDate:datetocvtfmt:liliandate:fc);

if (fc_Condition = x'00000000'); // no error so convert lilian to *USA

datetocvtfmt = 'YYYYMMDD';
convertedate = *Blanks;

callP CEEDATE(liliandate:datetocvtfmt:converteddate:fc);

dateCharFmt = converteddate;
return dateToReturn;

endif;

//--------------------------------------------
// Convert from yyyy/mm/dd date to lilian date
//--------------------------------------------

datetocvtfmt = 'YYYY/MM/DD';
liliandate = 0;
Clear fc;

callP CEEDAYS(wrkFrmDate:datetocvtfmt:liliandate:fc);

if (fc_Condition = x'00000000'); // no error so convert lilian to *USA

datetocvtfmt = 'YYYYMMDD';
convertedate = *Blanks;

callP CEEDATE(liliandate:datetocvtfmt:converteddate:fc);

dateCharFmt = converteddate;
return dateToReturn;

endif;

// Return a 0 date since the format is not recognized

return dateToReturn;

/end-free

P chkAndCvtADate B

The above function can be adapted to suit whatever your need.

HTH,

Gary Monnier