Dave,
Here is an SQLRPGLE example:

* Start: data to control cursor cRt: get Route info for Driver Settlement-
D cRt_Max C const(020)
D cRt_Rows S 5P 0 Inz(cRt_Max)
D cRt_@ S 5P 0 Inz(0)

D cRt_DS DS OCCURS(cRt_Max)
D cRt_AcvRte 5A
* End : data to control cursor cRt: get Route info for Driver Settlement-

C $GetRoutes BEGSR
*
C Clear tot_UniIn
C Clear tot_UniOut
C Clear *All cRt_DS

C/EXEC SQL OPEN cRt
C/END-EXEC
C If SQLCODE <> *Zero
C LeaveSR
C End
C/EXEC SQL
C+ FETCH cRt FOR :cRt_Rows ROWS INTO :cRt_DS
C/END-EXEC

C SQLCODE IFEQ *Zero
* Start: Loop to get total Outload/Inload for current Driver Settlement---
C 1 DO cRt_Max cRt_@
C cRt_@ OCCUR cRt_DS
C If cRt_AcvRte > *Blank
C Exsr $GetUniTot
C Else
C Leave
C End
C ENDDO
* End : Loop to get total Outload/Inload for current Driver Settlement---
C ENDIF

C/EXEC SQL
C+ CLOSE cRt
C/END-EXEC
*
C ENDSR

In this example, cRt_Max is set to 20, which
is an "impossible" number of routes for a
driver to completed in a day.
In this example, there is still a loop, but the sql code,
to me, is simpler and easier to write/maintain.