I expect not, for a fixed-length variable. Rather than initialize+assign, would that not be assign+pad; i.e. assign the target with the shorter value, then pad the target with blanks to the length of that non-varying target, which in MI is the Copy Bytes Left-Adjusted with Pad (CPYBLAP)? If Shortfield in the example is 1990-bytes, I really doubt the 2000-byte workfield is first set entirely to blanks [i.e. cleared], then the first 1990-bytes overwritten [again, but this time] with the data from Shortfield.? That would seem a bit daft, very inefficient anyhow, for a chosen implementation.

IME a varying as target leaves 'garbage' in the target beyond the length of the shorter source data, from which I infer the effect was assign+no_pad, or set_length+assign+no_pad; noting that the 'garbage' perhaps is only visible using the :X debug view\formatting, and the 'garbage' perhaps is purposely obfuscated using either :C or no formatting chosen as the eval\display formatting option.

Regards, Chuck