I realized that having just copied and modified my old SQL example [now snipped from the quoted reply], that I had overlooked the added requirement in this scenario to account for the input pDecPrecision value. That requirement actually complicates arithmetic expressions which would need to maintain the precision; the scale and precision for the builtin casting functions of the SQL can not be variables, which could make that easier. A simple alternative is to just rebuild the character string representation of the decimal numeric from the HEX() of the raw packed BCD data, and have that string [with a minus symbol and decimal point, as required,] cast directly to the DECIMAL(30,09). The following example uses a string expression, but includes an updated [and this time hopefully correct] arithmetic expression in comments; pHex as raw, pDecLen as decLen, and pDecPrecision as decPrc:

d rtn30p09 s 30p09
d rawLen s 5i00
d rawDig s 5i00
d rawHex s 32a varying
/free
rawLen=%div(decLen:2)+1; // byte length of raw data
rawDig=decLen; // assume odd decLen; no extra zero
if %rem(decLen:2)=0; // even decLen; revise assumption
rawDig=decLen+1; // account extra zero, left pad
endif;
Exec SQL
Set Option Commit=*NONE, Naming=*SYS, DecmPt=*PERIOD;
Exec SQL
set :rawHex=hex( substr( :raw, 1, :rawLen ) );
Exec SQL
set :rtn30p9=cast(
case when right( :rawHex, 1 ) in ('B', 'D')
then '-' else '' end
concat insert( left( :rawHex, :rawDig )
, :rawDig - :decPrc + 1 , 0 , '.' )
/* -- or by arithmetic; replaces snipped version
( dec( left( :rawHex, :rawDig ) , 21, 0 )
* case when right( :rawHex, 1 ) in ('B', 'D')
then -1. else 1. end
) / ( dec( 10**(:decPrc), 10, 00 ) )
*/
as decimal(30, 09) ) ;
// deal with sqlcode\sqlstate as necessary; e.g. overflow
// if more than 21 significant digits
return rtn30p09;

Using the cast to decimal from a string also allows for the input precision to approach or even match the max length of 21 digits for the integer portion; truncated, as coded above. Of course the typed decimal data *DTAARA support only allows up to DEC(24, 9) where each numeric value is the maximum.

Regards, Chuck