Ideally the storage would be addressed via a /data pointer/ and the attributes of the data pointer established as P(30,9). I believe in past forays, I found little support in RPG to do that directly, and while I do not recall specifically my experience using the MI instructions via RPG, I do experience an unpleasant pang when attempting to recall ;-)

I find the SQL is very easy to effect the desired conversion. The same concept is easily effected purely in RPG, but I have already written the SQL several times in the past.

Using an SQLRPGLE module source, instead of RPGLE:

d rtn30p09 s 30p09
d rawLen s 5i00
d rawSgn s 5i00
/free
rawLen=%div(pDecLen:2)+1;
rawSgn=rawLen*2;
Exec SQL
set :rtn30p9=cast(
left( hex( substr( :pHex, 1, :rawLen ) ), :pDecLen )
* case when right( hex( substr( :pHex, :rawSgn, 1 ) ), 1 )
in ('B', 'D') then -1 else 1 end
as decimal(30, 09) ) ;
// deal with sqlcode\sqlstate as necessary
return rtn30p09;

The above SQL was copied and modified [hopefully correctly] from another response to a similar inquiry on 05 Aug 2011:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/it.comp.as400/hmC_ap89dvM/kyi4xvsQNhoJ

Per rtn30p09 being typed P(30,9), the CAST should be redundant; e.g. if paring the expression is desirable.

Regards, Chuck