I think you also need a counter subfield for notification.peanut too.
Ideally, you would have a counter subfield for everything that could be
optional, and then get rid of allowmissing=yes. A bit more work to set
it up, but I think it's much more reliable.

d notification ds QUALIFIED
d peanut likeds(peanutds)
d countpeanut 10i 0

if notification.countpeanut > 0;
for i = 1 to notification.peanut.countbabyNut;

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I have come to realise. As I mentioned before, I had not
really thought I would need a countpeanut. I thought it would be enough
to use countbabynut and rely on this to be zero if it was not present.

This was the impression I got from reading the IBM docs for this
command/option.

My issue is that I have several nested elements, so it now means to use
this I will have to go through
and add a number of count variables, and maybe have to check 7 or 8
before I can actually get into my loop.

Is this the way that this is intended to work and are there any plans to
do you to change this so it will set all count variables?

I think I will follow what others have suggested and initialise my
datastructure before using the xml-into which will work for what I am
trying to do - however I do not this is how I should be coding, as I
think this is more of a work around.

Thanks again
Luke

The information contained in this email is confidential and may also contain privileged information. Sender does not waive confidentiality or legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately; you should not retain this message or disclose its content to anyone.
Internet communications are not secure or error free and the sender does not accept any liability for the content of the email. Although emails are routinely screened for viruses, the sender does not accept responsibility for any damage caused. Replies to this email may be monitored.
For more information about the Tullett Prebon group of companies please visit the following web site: www.tullettprebon.com