From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dunk, Michael - Bognor
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 9:48 AM
To: RPG400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Is there a single CL command to change record format name?

Creating a file named DIBDWF3 with an AS/400 query, to be read in RPG was
causing QRG2122.

Looking at a similar program written some time ago by someone else, the
query file read by RPG had a different record format name.

Using Google I found two links:

http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/Changing-existing-physical-files-record-
format wasn't something I could do in a CL program

The following article leads me to wonder if there isn't a command to change
a record format name.

http://www.mcpressonline.com/tips-techniques/sql/techtip-sql-and-i5os-record
-format-names.html

The only way I could find to solve this, was to use RNMOBJ to rename the
file. Then the record and file name have different names, a similar to the
above article. Do you know if there is a simple way to change a record
format name?

The compilation error in the RPG program attempting to read the file was:
*...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+.
...8....+....9....+....0....+....1....+..
*****
300 FDIBDWF3 IF E DISK
20/04/12
400 * Query file
19/04/12 S
* 2122 300 RECORD NAME DIBDWF3 PREVIOUSLY DEFINED AS FILE NAME.
RECORD FORMAT(S): LIBRARY MY_LIB FILE DIBDWF3.
EXTERNAL FORMAT DIBDWF3 DROPPED DUE TO ERROR OR IGNORE.

Best regards,

Mike