On 2012/4/16 2:40 PM, Michael Schutte wrote:
Would any advise for or against putting any new prompt procedures in the
same service program? Just curious. I started a new service program with
the intent to put any new prompt programs in this service program. But
then I got to thinking maybe that would be a bad idea because as the size
of the service program grew, so would the amount of memory each time the
program was activated. I am using a named activation group.

Aside from any considerations about the prompt procedures themselves ...

The amount of memory required for a service program doesn't necessarily increase when you add new procedures.

It does increase when you add new RPG _modules_, since all RPG modules have a certain amount of storage for inner workings of RPG, even nomain or linear-main modules.

So if you are concerned about memory, grouping similar procedures in the same module is a good idea.

By "similar", I mean a couple of things
- similar in their nature, so that it "makes sense" for them to be together in the same module
- similar in the things they need, such as other service programs, files, global variables within the module