From: CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: File Encapsulation Quandary

On 09-Apr-2012 12:34 , Nathan Andelin wrote:
RPG Code:

http://code.midrange.com/d2dfaae4db.html

  SQL injection can be fun ;-)  What if the value for the char(10)
variables ytmlink.district and ytmlink.school [as presumed input from a
user] are the following [non-delimited by quotation marks] string?:
    "'or 1='1  "

  If accepted as input, then the expression:
    filter = 'DISTRICT = ' + squote + ytmlink.district + squote +
          ' AND SCHOOL = ' + squote + ytmlink.school + squote;

  Evaluates to the string:
    DISTRICT = ''or 1='1  '  AND SCHOOL = ''or 1='1  '

  Even if the application avoids injection by some means of validity
checking the input, the SQL as coded is not very reusable if\when stored
in the cache "as is", because the values are literals instead of
parameter markers.  The SQL is made safe from injection, more directly
enabled capable for reuse, and IMO much more readable when constructed
as a string when using instead the expression:
    filter = 'DISTRICT = ? AND SCHOOL = ?';

Regards, Chuck