On Apr 4, 2012, at 5:26 PM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

But in a real world example that I included SQL would be faster. Using
RPG I am chaining the entire units record in, then I am chaining in
the TRANSFER_CONTROL table and then checking the dates to see if they
are in range and then chaining in the UNITS_TRANSFERRED record to see
if it already there.

I haven't experimented with this yet, but it occurs to me that with V7's NOUNREF option RPG will be doing much the same thing as SQL. Both have to have access to the base record buffer - the difference being that RPG has always unloaded the individual fields into their storage locations. With NOUNREF only those fields that are actually used will be retrieved.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com