From: Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i"
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/04/2012 02:48 AM
Subject: Re: File Encapsulation Quandary
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with everything you are saying except "Why try to achieve database
independence". Huh!!

That is kind of like saying you prefer to stick a sharp stick in your eye.
Without database independence, your database is locked. Any changes means
recompiling the whole word which, of course, nobody does.

Also, when we talk about about the encapsulation it is not an either or
situation. The is nothing to keep you from:

Applications Calling
Business Objects (Customer, Product) Calling
File Encapsulation

I am just saying with SQL not much reason to be creating File
Encapsulation.

In our new Java stuff written in a framework we have a:

Application calling
Business Objects Calling
Database Objects.

The disadvantage to the Database Objects that they bring the entire
database record in when they fetch a database objects. Huge amount of
overhead.

This email is sent by Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd, A&G Insurance Services Pty Ltd, Australian Insurance Holdings Pty Ltd or a related body corporate (A&G) and is for the intended addressee.
The views expressed in this email and attachments (email) reflect the views of the stated author but may not reflect views of A&G. This email is confidential and subject to copyright.
It may be privileged. If you are not the intended addressee, confidentiality and privilege have not been waived and any use, interference with, or disclosure of this email is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended addressee please immediately notify the sender and then delete the email. A&G does not warrant that this email is error or virus free.