Hi David,

On 3/20/2012 11:59 AM, David Baugh wrote:
The application I'm working on has an exact match between the format
of the file and the XML data structure. So I'd like to take advantage
of that and try to get away with defining all my structures
externally by hooking into the external file definitions in RPG.

Okay. That's why I presented multiple possibilities -- so you can pick the one that's a best fit your situation.

Perhaps my lack of experience is showing here, but I guess an upgrade
is the obvious answer.

Upgrade? I'm not sure that you stated which release you're running. But if you're running V5R4, an upgrade will definitely improve the XML handling stuff.

..then I do have another issue with XML-INTO. In the service program,
I'm using a cursor to get the data into up to 999 instances of a data
structure. When I define the result in the consuming program, the
compiler tells me that XML-INTO has a potential problem with the size
of the data structure exceeding 65535 bytes.

At V5R4, a named data structure must be 65535 bytes or smaller. (Including all sub-fields and other sub-elements.) Not sure what you're looking for me to comment on, other than perhaps to explain that limitation?

At 6.1, the size limit is increased to 16 MB.

Depending on the circumstance, you may be able to work around the v5r4 limit using %HANDLER. (Or, with XML-SAX or Expat... but we've already ruled those out for you.)