From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:53 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: accessing QS3F data by utilities and 4GLs - where do they see
thefield layout ?

If you think about it, most of what you need to externally define your files
is in the "I" specs. Record name, field name, field type, field length can
be derived from starting and ending positions, and decimals.

http://www.radile.com/rdweb/temp/gl100.txt

It would be pretty easy to write a program to harvest "I" specs from RPG II
source members and import them into a data dictionary. Then you could then
generate DDS or SQL DDL. You'd still need to enter column headings and any
other meta data you'd want.