@Nathan

Sure, I can see why ISVs would view cloud services as an opportunity and
that's great. In my case, however, I am thinking about what is best for my
company and don't think anything I've said about cloud services is
misinformation. I can't speak for others, but I am not saying it is an
either/or proposition. My main point was that outsourcing, cloud services,
third parties, etc. are not a panacea for everyone. Thus, not using them
(or the Internet) does not necessarily mean one is stuck in a rut or
resistant to change. They may be appropriate in certain circumstances, and
if companies choose to use them, fine. That said, those who don't can have
objective reasons for keeping things in house beyond fear or feeling
threatened. I.e., one may have objective reasons for doing so, reasons
like those I previously cited.

Aside from that, managers can do all sorts of boneheaded things,
regardless of developer skills or lack thereof. I've known of companies
using outsourcing, canned applications, software development firms, etc.
to "cut costs." Or the new guy wants to come in and "shake things up" or
"make his mark." In some cases, the results were failed projects, higher
costs, less flexibility, less in house expertise, etc. So there can be
problems with both approaches. Knowledgeable, quality staff and common
sense have as much or more to do with success, I think, as the right
technology, architecture or solution. In any event, I am in complete
agreement that RPG developers should not rest on laurels, let their skills
stagnate or expect to maintain employment by writing monolithic non-ILE
RPG programs (though unfortunately they may not have a choice in some
circumstances). That's why, beyond interest, I've personally invested a
lot of time researching various technologies and trying to become
knowledgeable in a few of them. It is of beneficial for me, but my
employer as well.

As regards HTTP, FTP, wireless hot spots, VPNs, etc... sure we use those
things, but not necessarily in conjunction with the Internet or to run our
core business processes. They are important, but peripheral, and their
temporary loss won't shut down our business or leave us high and dry.

I agree about Google and Facebook. Their business model is to make money
off of your activity and data. Last time I checked, Google says as much in
the fine print: basically, your data is our data. As a result, I have a
mixed feelings about them. I don't like their Big Brother business model,
but appreciate some of the things they are doing with Android, Java and
open source software. Maybe Apple is better about this since their revenue
is generated more through hardware than advertising. Apple's cloud
services provide great convenience and have given them another edge over
the competition, but one nonetheless should be aware of the potential
risks involved for such convenience. I don't use Facebook.

In any event, the world may go a lot of directions. That doesn't mean it
will always be for the better (at least in every respect). As regards
technology, I can foresee ever greater interconnectedness being a
double-edged sword. That's my $.02 and sorry if I have distracted too much
from the technical nature of this list...

Blake