Scott,

@namespaces: I'm talking about modularisation and if it is possible to give a procedure the name read if it is reading something and if I could use this procedure without naming conflicts together with other procedures read in the same context. Using RPG this would not work and this is in contradiction to use meaningfull names.

@multi threading: using H option THREAD(*SERIALIZE) you loose Multithreading, using THREAD(*CONCURRENT) first you are loosing shared memory, using static(*ALLTHREAD) you will get it back, but RPG has no synchronisation constructs and you would have to code this on your own. There are languages out (not only java!) it's much easier to code multi threaded applications.

@event driven and multithreading: keying events is only half of the truth! especeally if you want the reaction to other events in real time, because there is someone sitting and waiting...

@error handling: I'm talking about the relation between compile time error checking and runtime errors and if you want to write stable code (in other words: there are people out, who want to check errors in their code!!!) you would have no assistance using RPG, because the compiler doesn't care (and know) about errors, which might occur at runtime.

@multiple connections: If you are writing transaction safe code (in other words: if you use commitment controll) you need multiple connections all time and using RPG you would have to use ugly work arounds with diffrent Activation Groups. And using Server mode or SQL CLI is much more complicated than normal embedded SQL.

@controll Activation: all OO languages and some other do! In Java the magic word is new

@opinion: yes, that's my opinion (what else should it be?) and I was thinking that we are discussing opinions, so that everybody could make the decision for himself, what is needed and how to do it!

Dieter