While I regard RPG as a very efficient and cost-effective language (short learning curve, low development hours, good development visibility), I see a number of factors which restrict its popularity.

First, unlike other languages, it is restricted to one platform. (I remember someone had a Windows PC version out in the 80's but it never caught on).

Secondly, it is weak when developing user-interfaces, GUI's. RPG is essentially a server language. Given that nowadays most AS400 screens are on Windows or UNIX operating systems, I think IBM missed a point by not making it easier to access the full memory capability of Windows and Unix for user interfaces embedded in the RPG code. For example, instead of WORKSTN on the F specs, WNDWGUI or UNIXGUI. Mind you, if some smart person could write a routine and link it as a SPECIAL device ... I concede that you can use HTML on the green screen, but I have never seen it used effectively

Thirdly, as another contributor has already stated, RPG is a procedural language, as opposed to OO. OO and UML are the current and future trends in software development.

RPG is not dying but it is becoming a niche language. One thing we learnt from Y2K work was the amount of legacy code that exists in the background. This will exist and work well into the future., but also will be changed project by project slowly over the years to come.

Regards,
John McKay mba