Gary

To be honest, I probably do like to argue but find it unfruitful. Some of this is really a religious argument, and I've tried to stay above that here, with varying degrees of success.

I think you're right on here. RPG Open Access is, to me, essentially servicing the developer's code, with the handler (the "server") using whatever underlying bits are needed. Actually, these bits are maybe the new stuff that is so much "fun" to work with. But you serve or enable your fellow developers who either are not interested or don't have time due to other constraints.

RPG itself has a handler for I/O - it's built into the runtime, if you want to think of it that way. It's a program that's called that knows how to work with DSPFs, PRTFs, PFs, and a few other things we seldom use today.

On restricting to DB or GUI - exactly - no need to do that. Only our imagination can limit us here, once we start thinking of how to use the new functionality.

Buffering and the choice of how deep to delve - yes - exactly. In fact, I'd say that every next-level language has been buffering us from something - assembly is a level of abstraction above machine code - BASIC or RPG or C, another level above assembly, maybe.

All of this has challenges - for Bernd, in one way - for others of us, another way. Some of the challenge is finding ways to take advantage of the new stuff.

So you make sense to me, man! Not that I know everything about it, of course!

Cheers
Vern