From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:52 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Question on IBM's WSDL2RPG tool -- Problem with wsdl2ws.sh and GetQuote sample

I am unfamiliar with the WSDL2RPG tooling, Michael, but let me point out
a couple of things that pop out to me.

First, the path /home/MKOESTER/QIBM/ProdData(...) is definitely wrong.
On the IBM i, lots of basic IBM stuff resides in the folder
/QIBM/ProdData and its subfolders. Clearly that long path name is a
problem. Looking at your command I see that you are defining the path
to your WSDL thusly:

QIBM/ProdData/OS/WebServices/V1/client/samples/getQuote/GetQuote.wsdl

Note that you don't have a leading slash? That means this is a relative
path, and it will start at your current location in the IFS, which is
typically /home/USERID. To fix the problem, I would suggest putting a
slash in front of the filename of your WSDL:

/QIBM/ProdData/OS/WebServices/V1/client/samples/getQuote/GetQuote.wsdl

That should at least get you to the next step.

The second thing is that while you can sometimes replace a standard IFS
path with a traditional QSYS path using /QSYS.LIB/MYLIB.LIB as you were
doing, it doesn't always lead to wonderful results. When folders are
called for, try to stick with folders.

Joe

(also posted same issue to IBM developerworks RPG forum)

I'm trying to get familiar with consuming webservices using IBM's WSDL2RPG tooling. Tried following the instructions in "Web Services Client for ILE Programming Guide" - Chapter 21, to generate the RPG stub code for the sample GetQuotes operation. When I try the wsdl2ws.sh command in qshell, I get rejected with:

"java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/MKOESTER/QIBM/ProdData/OS/WebServices/V1/client/samples/getQuote/GetQuote.wsdl (a file or directory in the path name does not exist.)"

Okay, I deviated from the instructions where it said to create a library "MYGETQUOTE". The SysAdmin doesn't go for anyone creating libraries here, so I figured I could use my assigned development library, "MKOESTER" and substitute that into the command for the two occurrences of MYGETQUOTE.

I'll also confess to there being a folder named MKOESTER in the home directory on our IFS, but it seems like the tool generating the pieces and looking for the pieces should keep to its own sandbox.

The command I used in qshell is:
/QIBM/ProdData/OS/WebServices/V1/client/bin/wsdl2ws.sh
-o/MKOESTER/RPG -lrpg -ms256 -ma5
-s/qsys.lib/MKOESTER.lib/wsrpg.srvpgm
QIBM/ProdData/OS/WebServices/V1/client/samples/getQuote/GetQuote.wsdl

(and I tried modifying the o- parameter to -o/qsys.lib/MKOESTER.lib/RPG as well as a few other variations. Same error.) I've confirmed with Navigator that the path to wsdl2ws.sh is correct, as is the path to GetQuote.wsdl.

We've been running 7.1 for a couple months here, and I'm told we're pretty current with PTF's, but no promises there. I've programmed in RPG for a few decades, but have no C++ experience and I'm new to QSH as well. I'd appreciate all insights anyone can offer.
Many thanks.

Michael Koester