On 22-Nov-2011 07:14 , rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
rob on 11/21/2011 05:28 PM wrote:

I am debugging an rpgle program.
D DSRV0100 DS 8180 Qualified
D BytesRet 10i 0 inz(0)
D BytesAvl 10i 0 inz(%len(DSRV0100))
D ServerOffset 10i 0 inz(0)
D NbrServers 10i 0 inz(0)
D LenServer 10i 0 inz(0)
I want to see the whole contents of DSRV0100 (or a large chunk of that
huge variable. I do NOT want to see just the subfields like:

EVAL DSRV0100
DSRV0100.BYTESRET = 2060
DSRV0100.BYTESAVL = 2060
DSRV0100.SERVEROFFSET = 20
DSRV0100.NBRSERVERS = 8
DSRV0100.LENSERVER = 255

EVAL %SUBSTR(DSRV0100 3 5)
CPF7E59-String type error occurred.
"The identifier in position 26 of the input buffer is not a string."

EVAL %SUBSTR(DSRV0100:C 3 5)
CPF7E15-Syntax error occurred.
"A syntax error was discovered in position 22 of the input buffer.

EVAL %SUBSTR(DSRV0100:C 3 5)
1234567891123456789212
Doesn't like the colon.

I have to scroll through this
EVAL DSRV0100:C 8180

Add something like the following to the code:

<code>

d DSstr@ S *
d DSstr S 9999A based(DSstr@)
/free
DSstr@ = %Addr(DSstr);

</code>

Then in debug, for example, request:

EVAL %substr(dsstr 5 9):x

00000 00001FF4 00000000 00...... ........ - ...4.....

Regards, Chuck