Hi, Chuck:

As I understand it, the way READC works is based on the 5250 data stream "modified data tags" (MDT) to determine what, if any, fields were changed. This implies that you must do some I/O to a real terminal.

Also note that one quirk of the 5250 hardware and MDTs is, if you type over a value in a field, even if you type exactly the same characters, the 5250 terminal (or emulator) considers that field to be "modified" and the MDT is set ON for that field.

So, bear that in mind.

Also, why would you use a subfile if you are never going to display it? *:-o *(Why not just use an array or a physical file in QTEMP, in that case?)

All the best,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 11/17/2011 10:44 AM, Graves, Chuck wrote:
I have an application with a subfile which is not displayed on-screen but utilized in the background. It would appear that the READC op-code is not working, even though the records were updated with the proper indicator for the SFLNXTCHG keyword.

Does the SFLNXTCHG/READC not work if the subfile is never displayed on-screen?