What column does the IF statement start in?

Maybe a line further up in the code is missing a semi-colon?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry C. Adams
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:35 AM
To: RPG400-L
Subject: String Format Error

V5R1, member type = SQLRPGLE.

I am getting an RFN5501 error, such as:

034000 IF blscd = 'XFT'

*RNF5501 20 034000 The comment entry on a free-form calculation
is
not valid.

034100 OR blscd = 'XEX';

This one I can "fix" by putting the 'IF/OR' on the same line. But I've
used freeform 'OR' in RPGLE programs without an error.

Plus I'm getting it here:

042400 SQLString = 'SELECT blclas, bldate, blscd, +

042500 bltcd@, blamt, blsqty, blretp, +

042600 bldisc, blindx, bltxcd, bldesc, +

042700 blum, blprce, blcode FROM ' +

*RNF5501 20 042700 The comment entry on a free-form calculation
is
not valid.

042800 LINES +

*RNF5501 20 042800 The comment entry on a free-form calculation
is
not valid.

042900 ' WHERE blco = bnco +

043000 AND bldv = bndv +

043100 AND bldp = bndp +

043200 AND blglac = bnglac +

043300 AND blglsb = bnglsb +

043400 AND blcust = bncust +

043500 AND blspto = bnspto +

043600 AND bldate = bndate +

043700 AND blref# = bnref# +

043800 AND bljrcd = bnjrcd' +

*RNF5501 20 043800 The comment entry on a free-form calculation
is
not valid.

043900 ' ORDER BY blclas, blitm# for Read Only';

I got rid of the last one by changing it to:

AND bljrcd = bnjrcd ORDER BY blclas, blitm# for Read Only'; . Again, I
"fixed" the problem by changing the code to:

partA = 'SELECT blclas, bldate, blscd, +

bltcd@, blamt, blsqty, blretp, +

bldisc, blindx, bltxcd, bldesc, +

blum, blprce, blcode FROM ' ;

partB = ' WHERE blco = bnco +

AND bldv = bndv +

AND bldp = bndp +

AND blglac = bnglac +

AND blglsb = bnglsb +

AND blcust = bncust +

AND blspto = bnspto +

AND bldate = bndate +

AND blref# = bnref# +

AND bnjrcd = bnjrcd ORDER BY blclas, blitm# for Read Only';

SQLString = %trim(parta) + ' ' + LINES + ' ' + %trim(partb);

But I'm left wondering: Why? It's a Monday morning, but I've had my
allotted number of cups of coffee. The string with the error *looks*
like other, similar strings that I have formatted without an error, but
the old eye may be missing something. I read the ILE RPG Reference
manual and couldn't find anything that pointed me to the error of my
ways.

The error on the multi-line IF/OR, though, definitely doesn't appear to
be anything that I did wrong.

Comments on the "Comment" error?

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams

IBM i Programmer/Analyst

I wanna get out of this rat race. The rats are winning.

--

A&K Wholesale

Murfreesboro, TN

615-867-5070