Thanks to help from Scott Klement and Dieter Bender, I have worked through
the instal.txt document and have the SQLGATE batch job running on our
system i at V7R1M0.

I am currently not able to use StrSql to connect and query a MS Sql Server
database.

The version of java on system i shows as:

Display Installed Licensed Programs
System: TEST

Licensed Installed
Program Release Description
5761JV1 V6R1M0 IBM Developer Kit for Java
5761JV1 V6R1M0 Java SE 6 32 bit

We have Microsoft Sql Server running on our network with a database named
JdbcTest
and a user named jdbctest.

We are able to Delete, Insert, and Select rows from JdbcTest using a
connection based
on the jdbctest user account, Scott's JDBCR4 Service Program and a local
program
based on an example from Jon Juracich.

The jdbctest user has a password of all upper case letters.

The RDB entry looks like:

Display Relational Database Entry Detail

Relational database . . . . . . : JDBCTEST
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : *ARDPGM
Remote authentication method:
Application requester driver:
Program . . . . . . . . . . . : JDBCGATE
Library . . . . . . . . . . : JVAGATE
Interface level . . . . . . . : 1
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Test access to JdbcTest db on MS Sql
Serve

Relational database type . . . . : *REMOTE

The JDBCGATE program object looks like:

Display Object Description - Basic
Library 1
of 1
Library . . . . . . . : JVAGATE Library ASP device . : *SYSBAS

Library ASP group . . : *SYSBAS

Type options, press Enter.
5=Display full attributes 8=Display service attributes

Opt Object Type Attribute Size Text
JDBCGATE *PGM RPGLE 360448 SQL CLIENT
INTEGRATIO

I get the following error when testing ArdGate:

Enter SQL Statements

Type SQL statement, press Enter.
> connect to JDBCTEST user jdbctest using ''
Connection exception - SQLSTATE 08003, SQLCODE -30061.
===>

I also get the same error using an invalid password for the jdbctest user.

Enter SQL Statements

Type SQL statement, press Enter.
> connect to JDBCTEST user jdbctest using 'Bad-Pwd-1'
Connection exception - SQLSTATE 08003, SQLCODE -30061.
===>

I don't see an error in the SQLGATE joblog:

Display All Messages
System: TEST

Job . . : SQLGATE User . . : GTHOMPSON Number . . . :
095612

Job 095612/GTHOMPSON/SQLGATE started on 09/14/11 at 13:33:34 in
subsystem
QBATCH in QSYS. Job entered system on 09/14/11 at 13:33:34.
Job 095612/GTHOMPSON/SQLGATE submitted.
>> QSH CMD('java -classpath
/JVAGATE:/JVAGATE/AppServer4RPG.jar:/JVAGATE/log4

j-1.2.16.jar:/JVAGATE/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar:/QIBM/ProdData/HTTP/Public

/jt400/lib/jt400Access.zip:/JVAGATE/src
de.bender_dv.jvagate.communication
.Receiver')

The SQLGATE job library list does not include the JVAGATE library, but I
am thinking
maybe the RDB directory entry allows the JDBCGATE program to be found ?

I have not yet been able to find "ArdGate.log".

I am looking in the JVAGATE directory and subordinate directories, mainly
in the
two "application" directories.