Henrik, Erifam and Tommy,

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to populate the string with the info from the first file (except the packed fields but here I will try Tommy or Erifam suggestions) but I cannot populate the flat file from the string;

When I try RecNameOfTheOneFieldFile = Result, I get the compile error:
"The types of the right and left hand side do not match in the EVAL operation."

(Probably it is my fault that I wasn't clear enough: the second file I want to populate is *also* a PF (created with CRTPF command) having one field large enough to fir the entire record from the first file)

Code sample:

Felp500 if e k disk extfile('EDILIB/ELP500')
Fout211txt if a e disk rename(out211txt:outrec)
F prefix(f_)

D ds_det e DS extname(elp500:*input)
D result s 2000

/Free