To be even more clearer:

1.
A web service is any service accessed using the HTTP protocol, hence "web"
in the name.

3.
REST (representational state transfer) is an architecture to access and
manipulate "resources", were each resource can have specific
"representations" when transferred to a client (browser). For example i can
have a resource named "clients" and i can retrieve a list of customers with
URL ".../customers". The list of customers is transferred to the client
(browser) in XML format and this is a "representation" of this resource
(could be anything). I can also access the customer with number 1234 with
".../customer/1234 and i get a representation of this customer. To update a
customer with a new name, i POST to URL ".../customer/1234/update" with the
new name (e.g. in XML format) as the payload. In REST style, the HTTP (Web)
protocol is followed. Eg. the browser may use HTTP header "Accept:" to
indicate which "representations" (content-types) it accepts, and the
server's response includes HTTP header "Content-Type" to indicate which
representation is used. Also, the POST returns the location URL of the new
(or updated) resource. Also the "list of customers" should include the URL
locations of each "customer" resource, such that a browser could navigate
through all resource from one entry point (such as the list with customers,
then to a customer, then to it's orders, etc). Much like the Web works with
hyperlinks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer