but for me we are business problem solvers first
Don't we have business analysts for that?

Many times the problems we have to solve are more like "how can we put this
in our existing system without breaking it".

Don't get me wrong, business is always first, of course.

A good developer has both. He is technical (without that he wouldn't be a
developer), but can apply that knowledge to the business.
It is this combination of technical *and* business skills that is important.
Only one of the two is not enough.
If you're only technical, and don't think in terms of business processes and
how to support those effectively, is just as bad as knowing only business
and not thinking in technical terms.

But what is "technical", exactly.
It's not knowing all about 26+ languages, etc, thats the "tooling" part of
the story.

There is a body of generic knowledge about programming, which is the same
for all tooling/languages.
This is important knowlegde, needed to be able to effectively build
software, and not painting yourself in a corner within 3 years.
Making a program is simple. Anybody can do that.
The question is, how do i manage not 1 but 1000 programs, the next 5 years,
and do it effectively.
How do i manage that i can easily add another function, in 5 years.
How do i cope with constant change, with uncertainty, with customers who
only know what they want when they see it.
That is technical, not "business". Business is hiring a capable person who
knows this.
And you don't learn it from a book, just by experience, by reading about it,
and thinking about it.
And to do that, although you can get easy money without, you have to be a
little crazy.

Read books, there are many.
Like "the mythical man-month", the obligatory example.
Only some people on this list have read it, most RPG programmers never heard
of it, and are not interested.

Knowing that separating concerns within a software system is paramount to
cost-effectively evolving a system over the years is technical knowlegde,
not business. Business is hiring the right person.

In fact, you could say, every decision made at the IT dept. is a "technical"
decision.