I remember looooong ago, I used a languaje (RPG II) with the limitations you mention. You should not call limitations of the actual RPG the limitations of 20 years ago.

john e wrote:

Ok.....

The reason why, IMHO, RPG is a "fatal" flaw is because most RPG programmers
are "raised" with a "language" that doesn't support all kind of trivial
things, like normal dates, like "free format", local variables, long
variable names (we have indicators), only columnar format, only subroutines
and no any other way of abstraction, JUST subroutines (yes thanks to OS/400
we can call other programs as modules but again this is not a language
feature), etc etc.

This is were most RPG programmers are at.
Only 1% use ILE RPGIV (which is feature wise comparable to C from the 60's
but anyway a lot better than before).
Why is it that only 1% use "modern" RPG?

Because RPG exists since 1950 and only the last 10 years it evolved,
somewhat.
I am exagerating, but only a little bit, unfortunately.

Most RPG'ers don't have any knowledge of good software development
practices, like abstraction, etc.
Learning a (natural) language shapes your mind.
If you learn a language like RPGII, or III, and this is your only language
and only knowlegde then something like "local variables" sound strange and
not useful, only making things complicated. Try convincing somebody with
only "classic" RPG experience the advantages of local variables. It's just
completely alien.